Design at Motorola
From 2008 to 2009 I worked for Motorola, designing one of the first mobile device management (MDM) tools for corporate IT departments. I was responsible for migrating its PC-based predecessor to the web. I defined the information architecture, produced interface specifications, and conducted field research over the course of three releases.
I used flow diagrams to ground design discussions and help the product team work through complex features.
I produced high fidelity interface specifications as part of a waterfall development process.
I conducted usability tests at client sites after the initial launch. We got a lot right, but I discovered a number of areas for improvement. The experience taught me the value of low fidelity testing earlier in the product cycle.
While the product was designed primarily for desktop-based browsers, it supported a limited number of “mobile” scenarios, such as immediately wiping a lost or stolen phone. I designed a simplified interface for non-touch mobile browsers.